Friday, January 29, 2010

Chinese soup - Dang Shen, Huai Shan, Lily Bulbs and Dried Longans

Experiment: Dang Shen, Huai Shan, Lily Bulbs and Dried Longans Soup



Introduction:  Last night when I was searching for something in the freezer, I saw 2 big chunks of pork by accidents.  (I don't know what I have in the freezer... I always find things that surprise mysel) I then realized that I haven't made soup for a while now. So I flipped through a soup recipe book and made this soup.

Materials:
Dang Shen - about 3 sticks, cut into small pieces (top left pic)
Huai Shan - about 8 pieces (bottom right pic)
Lily Bulbs - a handful (top right pic)
Dried Longans - a handful (bottom left pic)
Ginger - 2 to 3 slices
Pork - 2 big chunks
Water - 6 to 8 litres






















Procedure:
1) Put the pork in boiling water.  Let it boil for 3 to 5 minutes to get rid of the dirty stuff inside the meat.  Take the pork out of the pot.  Do NOT reuse the water for the soup.
 (I don't know if it really gets rid of the dirty stuff, but that's what Hong Kong families do to prepare the meat for soup)
2) Wash all the ingredients
3) Boil water, and then put all the ingredients in.  Let it boil for 20 minutes, then turn the heat to medium-low, and boil for 2 hours.


Result:















Discussions:
1) I think it's a pretty good soup.  Hmm... acutally I like all kinds of soup.  Hahaha! So ok not much for discussion today.

No comments:

Post a Comment