Saturday, January 9, 2010

Coca-Cola wings



Experiment: Coca-Cola Wings

Introduction:
I have a big bottle of Coke sitting in my fridge for months... Yeah I know the coke is not good for drinking anymore... so I decided to finish the Coke with cooking.  What can I cook with Coke?  Chicken wings!

Matierals:
20 chicken wings
Few slices of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
Coca-Cola
Oil

Procedure:
1)  Boil a pot of water.  When it boils, put a few slices of ginger in, and then put the chicken wings in.  When water boils, cover the lid, turn off the heat and let it sit for a minute or two.  This step is to get rid of the "frozen taste."  Make sure you don't over cook the chicken wings.  This step should only make the outside sorta cooked; the inside should still be raw.















2)  Put the chicken wings in a bowl of ice water.  Let it soak for about 10 minutes.  This step makes the chicken wings "crunchier/chewier." 

3)  Of course, you can skip the above two steps... I someitmes skip them when I'm lazy... anyways!  Step 3 is, heat a frying pan.  Put some oil in the pan, and then put in the ginger and garlic.  Put then chicken wings skin down in the frying pan.

4)  When it's half cooked, pour the coke it.  Pour in just enough to cover the wings.  Bring to boil, then trun to medium heat.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Serve.












Results:















Discussions:
1)  You can add a few slices of lemon, and/or green onions as well.  It will taste better! :)  But of course, if you happen to have no ginger, no garlic, no lemon or green onions at home, just using coke is fine.
2)  I like to put the chicken wings skin down in the pan.  As you simmer the wings, some black stuff will form, and it'll be stuck on the no-skin side.  When you serve the wings skin up, no black stuff is seen and the wings look prettier.
3)  You can add some soy sauce to make the wings' colour darker.

Conclusion:
Mr. Clam likes the taste to be richer.  I think next time I'll marinate the chicken wings with soy sauce, sugar, black pepper and mirin overnight. 

Reference:
Online recipes.
When I was young, I always heard people talking about Coca-Cola Wings, but I had never tasted it before, as my mom never made it. A few years ago while I was thinking of what to cook, this dish came to my mind. I searched for the recipe online and tried making Coca-Cola wings that I had always wanted. I expected it to taste like pop... but actually it tasted just like "sugar chicken wings." Well I heard that there are 8 spoons of sugar in each can of coke.... go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment