Sunday, January 3, 2010

Snow hot pot - 雪鍋




Experiment: Snow hot pot (雪鍋)

Introduction: I have leftover food from making Ozoni.  I flipped through a few Japanese cookbooks, and found that Snow hot pot has pretty much the same ingredients as the Ozoni! So I decided to give it a try.

Materials:
1/3 daikon/white radish
1/2 carrot
750g chicken thigh, cut into small pieces
1/2 Chinese cabbage
1 pack of Tofu
Chopped green onion
2 slices of ginger
1/2 tbs sesame oil
Oil

Soup:
2 cups dashi stock
2 cups water
2 tbs soy sauce
1 ts yuzu powder

Procedure:
1) Shred the daikon, and drain the water. 

2) Cut the carrot in thin slices, and the Chinese cabbage into small pieces.

3) Heat up the pot, put some oil in.  Put the ginger in, then add the chicken and sesame oil.


4) When the chicken changes colour, put all the soup ingredients in. 


5) Put the Chinese cabbage, tofu and carrots in. 


6) Bring to boil, then reduce to medium heat, and simmer for a few minutes.

7) Put the shredded daikon in the centre of the pot, then sprinkle the green onion on top of the daikon.


Results:



















Rice with veggies and chicken:



Discussion:
1) 1ts of yuzu powder actually wasn't quite enough.  I couldn't really taste the yuzu.  I ended up adding some ponzu (yuzu vinegar) into my rice bowl... then it tasted SO MUCH BETTER!

Conclusion:
This snow hot pot is pretty good for winter!  It's quick and easy, and it's not much for clean up! Just one pot, 2 rice bowls and 2 pairs of chopsticks!  Love this!

Reference:

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of dish! Love the fact that it has minimal clean up ^^

    Question: Is there an easy way to get the meat off the thigh bone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The easy way to get the meat off the thigh bone is to buy a pack that's already deboned... hahaha!
    I don't know any fast way... I really hate deboning thighs... I find chicken breats are easier to debone!

    ReplyDelete