Monday, February 1, 2010

Tofu Steak with mushrooms (豆腐ステーキきのこあん)



Experiment: Tofu Steak with mushrooms (豆腐ステーキきのこあん)

Introduction:
I’ve been craving tofu lately. I flipped through my recipe books and found this Tofu Steak with mushrooms. Yay! One dish with 2 of my fave food…


Materials:
1 pack tofu
1 pack enoki mushroom
1 pack maitake mushroom
1 tbs chopped green onion

Sauce:
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs sake
1/2 cup water
1.5 tbs corn starch
Salt, white pepper


Procedure:
1) Cut the tofu into big pieces.

2) Wash the 2 types of mushrooms. Cut the bottom part of the enoki mushroom, then cut the remaining part in half. Cut the maitake mushroom into small pieces.

3) Heat a frying pan. Add oil into pan, and put the tofu in. When one side is done, flip over to the other side. Put the tofu on plates when both sides are golden.

4) In a small pan, stir fry the mushrooms. When the mushrooms are half done, put the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sake and water in. Stir well. Sprinkle salt and white pepper as you like. When the sauce is ready, put the corn starch in. Mix well until sauce is thicken.

5) Put the mushroom sauce on top of the tofu. Sprinkle the green onion on top of the mushroom sauce.



Result:














Discussion:
1) It’s a quick and yummy dish!

2) You can try other types of mushroom as well. I just happend to have enoki mushroom and maitake mushroom at home. By the way, it’s my first time trying maitake mushroom… the texture is like oyster mushroom, but maitake has quite a “woody” taste. Interesting! Definitely will try again (too bad it’s quite expensive… otherwise I’ll buy it more often.)

3) Acutally 1 pack of tofu is not enough for me and Mr. Clam… I think I’ll make 2 packs of tofu!

No comments:

Post a Comment