Saturday, December 26, 2009

Apple Snow Ear Dried Fig Soup

It's been cold these few days in Vancouver.  And after having so many Christmas meals, I want something that's soothing for the body. I saw that there were a few apples in the fridge, so I decided to make this Apple Snow Ear Dried Fig Soup.





When I was young, my mom always made this when the weather was cold and dry.  It's supposed to "moisturize" your body according to the Chinese medicine theory.  It's really easy to make, you just need the following ingredients:

4 - 5 Apples
Dried snow ears - 2
Dried figs - 3
Ginger - 3 - 4 thin slices
Sweet and Bitter almonds - a bunch (Optional.  I didn't use it this time)
Water - 3 - 4L.


1.  Soak the dried snow ears in a big bowl for about 30 minutes or so, until the snow ears are soft.  Cut out the hard part at the bottom out.  Cut the snow ears in small pieces.
2.  Peel the apples, core them and cut them in quarters.
3.  Wash all the other ingredients.
4.  Boil the water in a large pot.  When the water bubbles, put all the ingredients in the pot.
2.  Boil the soup with high heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, then turn it to low heat.
3.  Boil for another 1.5 hours.
4.  DONE!


One pot usually lasts me a few days.  I like to heat it up in the morning, and put it in a thermal cup and bring it to work.  It feels SOOOO good when you drink it warm on a cold day.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment